EDF Trading is a leader in the international wholesale energy markets. It manages a portfolio of assets, which give it the ability to source, supply, transport, store, blend and convert physical commodities around the world. These capabilities enable EDF Trading to deliver essential asset optimization services, risk management and wholesale market access to the EDF Group and its third party customers, helping them to realize the value inherent in their asset portfolios.
EDF Trading is active in the electricity, natural gas, LNG, LPG, coal and freight and environmental products markets. It is one of the largest wholesale market traders in Europe for power and gas and one of the leading marketers of gas and power in the US. Its subsidiary, EDF Energy Services is one of the main providers of generation services for power generation companies in the US and a leading US energy retailer for large commercial and industrial customers.
EDF Trading is a 100% owned subsidiary of EDF, the world’s biggest electricity generator.
EDF Trading has around 950 employees with offices in the UK, Europe, Singapore, China, the United States and Canada.
We are looking for an Intraday Trading analyst intern who will join the Intraday Power Trading Team in Paris.
The intern will start familiarizing him/herself to our tools and systems by analyzing Market Orders on the different auctions. This could lead to implementing some new strategies on these auctions for the intraday desk.
The main focus of the internship will be the Southern Europe markets. On the intraday horizon, we are expecting market design changes in 2021. For us, this is both an incredible opportunity to generate value and a challenge to have a more robust analysis and comprehension of these markets. The intern will therefore be looking at what data can be used and where to find them and what the impact of this market design change will be on Intraday Trading. We will be exploring the means for us to participate efficiently in this market and one of the aims of the internship will be to implement tools and methods to analyze Fundamentals and leverage market drivers.
The intern will work closely with the traders and analysts. She/he is expected to work independently and proactively.
• Analyse different countries’ Market Orders on auctions to derive new strategies for the desk
• Understand new market designs
• Identify market drivers through fundamental analysis
• Find and collect relevant data and store/display them in an appropriate way
• Understand imbalance market and impact on trading, to determine opportunities for the desk
• Time permitting, some more ambitious objectives could be to develop models to forecast price movements or imbalance cashout.
Hours of works:
9am - 5pm,
Monday to Friday
6 months starting in March
Personal and professional requirements:
• Master student in Industrial Engineering, Energy Economics or related disciplines (Grande Ecole d’Ingenieur, …)
• Very Strong analytical and quantitative skills
• Must be structured, systematic and result-driven, with a problem-solving mentality
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Must demonstrate strength in programming and modelling (preferably Python, Mongo, )
• Must understand the functioning of the European power networks
• High motivation, enthusiasm and ability to work autonomously
• Interest in Energy and Commodities markets and Trading
• Fluent in English (Italian would be a plus)